I am very happy to share yet another flavorful and healthy rasam without using tomatoes. Blackberry-Ginger combination is simply amazing. Do try this rasam and I’m sure you’ll enjoy its taste, color and health benefits.
Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Fresh Blackberries – 5
- Finely chopped cilantro – 1/4 cup
- Shredded ginger – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Water – as needed to get thin soupy consistency
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 5
- Salt – to taste
To dry roast & Grind:
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Toor dhal – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry roast the ingredients given under “To dry roast & grind” and grind it into a fine powder. Then add blackberry and grind it again to a fine paste.
- In a bowl, add the paste, enough water to get runny consistency, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- In a pan, add the mixture and let it cook covered(slightly ajar) in medium flame till froth appears on top.
- Then add shredded ginger and mix well.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once the seeds pop, add cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Saute for few seconds in low flame and add it to rasam.
- Garnish it with finely chopped cilantro.
- Let the rasam sit for few minutes before serving.
Tasty and healthy Blackberry-Ginger Rasam is ready!
Enjoy it with plain rice or as such as a soup but in limited quantity.
- Always let the rasam cook covered to retain aroma and Prana.
- Adding curry leaf stem to the rasam gives wonderful aroma. Discard before serving.