Plum Kudampuli Rasam
Flavorful rasam without tomato??? Is it possible? I get this question from a lot of people to whom I ask to eliminate tomato from their diet. Here, i am a sharing a flavorful, tasty and healthy rasam without tomatoes. Do try this rasam and I’m sure you’ll enjoy and will never miss tomato.
Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Semi-Ripe Plum – 1 (Finely chopped)
- Kudampuli/Garcinia Cambogia – 1 (Soak in water for few minutes and extract thick juice)
- Finely chopped cilantro – 1/4 cup
- Boiled Toor Dhal(Yellow Pigeon peas) water – 1 cup
- Ayurvedic Rasam Powder – 2 tsp (or to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Water – as needed to get thin soup consistency
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 5
- Salt – to taste
- In a pan, add kudampuli extract, chopped plum, toor dhal water, turmeric powder, water (as needed to get a thin runny consistency), salt and let it cook covered(slightly ajar) in medium flame till froth appears on top.
- Add rasam powder and give it a stir.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once the seeds pop, add cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Saute for few seconds in low flame and add it to rasam.
- Garnish it with finely chopped cilantro.
Tasty and healthy Plum Kudampuli Rasam is ready!
Enjoy it with plain rice!
- Always let the rasam cook covered to retain aroma and Prana.
- Adding curry leaf stem to the rasam gives wonderful aroma. Discard before serving.