Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Chopped Amaranth Leaves(Red-Green mixed variety) – 3 cups
- Peeled & Chopped Snake Gourd – 2 cups
- Shredded coconut – 1 tbsp
- Shredded Ginger – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Ghee or Sesame Oil – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt – To taste
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds pop, add cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida and saute for few seconds.
- Then add snake gourd, turmeric powder, little water and let it cook covered on low-medium flame till the veggies are 50% cooked.
- Then add the chopped amaranth leaves, salt, ginger and give it a stir.
- Let it cook covered on low flame till the veggies & greens are completely cooked.
- Switch off the flame and add shredded coconut.
Yummy & healthy subji is ready.
Enjoy it as a side-dish for Roti-Dal combo or any Variety Rice.
- Cooked Amaranth leaves are a good source of Vitamins.
- Snake gourd is a coolant. Its better to remove its seeds before cooking as it might cause indigestion.