Strawberry Dhal Tadka | Side-dish for Roti/Paratha/Dhal/Dosai/Idli
Yes! You read it right! Its Strawberry-Flavored Dhal Tadka. It is definitely not a dessert😉 Its an unusual combination with a super yummy taste. Strawberry is a wonderful tomato substitute in Dhals. Do try it out and let me know your feedback. I am sure you will not miss tomato after trying this recipe.
Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Toor Dhal or Split Mung Dhal or mixed lentils – 1/2 cup
- Chopped strawberries – 1/4 cup
- Thai Green chilly – 1 (Slit and remove the seeds)
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Finely chopped cilantro – 1/4 cup
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Black cardamom – 1
- Clove – 1
- Cinnamon – 1 stick
- Fennel seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Kalonji – 1/8 tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Mustard seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Dry roast the lentil, rinse it well and soak for at-least 6 hrs.
- Boil the lentil with little turmeric & salt until mushy.
- Heat ghee in a saucepan and add mustard seeds.
- Let the seeds pop and then add rest of the seasoning ingredients.
- Fry for few seconds and then add chopped strawberries, green chilly, asafoetida, black pepper powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, 1/4 cup water and mix well.
- Let it cook covered on low-medium flame till the strawberries turn soft and mushy.
- Add cooked lentils, salt, enough water and mix well.
- Let it cook covered on low flame for 5 mins.
- Garnish it with cilantro and serve hot.
Healthy and tasty Dhal is Ready! Serve it as a side-dish for plain rice/ roti/ paratha/ idli or dosai.
- Dry roasting and soaking the lentils helps in better digestion.
- Toor dhal pacifies Vata and Kapha but aggravates Pitta. Mung dhal is Tridoshic(in moderation for Kapha). So choose the lentil according to your body type.
- Raw fruits should be eaten alone. It should not be mixed with any other foods like dairy, grains, lentils etc. In this recipe, strawberry is cooked and hence becomes ok to consume with lentils.