Ayurveda always recommends to have freshly cooked homemade food. Its good to have a simple food cooked & eaten fresh rather than rich & tasty leftover or frozen foods.
This recipe is just an improved version of my previous usili recipe. The ingredients are somewhat similar to kichadi and Pongal but the quantity of lentil used is slightly less and has a South-Indian style tadka. Also, the rice will be fluffy like pulav and not mushy like pongal. I don’t know why my maternal family calls it “Usili” but I just know one thing that IT TASTES YUMMY with simple ingredients and saves much time. This is a simple one-pot meal which takes just 30 minutes maximum to cook.
Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Sona Masoori or Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Moong Dhal – 1/4 cup
- Mixed vegetables – 1 cup (I used carrots, asparagus, fennel bulbs)
- Thai Green Chilly – 1 (slit and remove the seeds)
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Channa dhal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dhal – 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 3 1/2 cups (or depending upon the rice variety you use. The cooked rice has to turn fluffy and should not be mushy)
- Sesame Oil or Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Dry roast rice and lentil, rinse it thrice and soak till you prepare the veggies.
- Heat ghee/oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Let it splutter and then add cumin seeds, channa dhal, green chilly, asafoetida, curry leaves and fry it for few seconds.
- Add the veggies, rice-dhal mixture(drain the water before adding), turmeric powder and saute for 3 minutes on low-medium flame.
- Add fresh water and salt and let it come to a brisk boil on medium-high flame.
- Reduce the flame to low and cook it covered until done.
Yummy and simple one-pot meal is Ready!
Enjoy it with roasted pappad and a tall glass of Ayurvedic Takra 🙂
Soaking the rice & lentil for atleast an hour is recommended but when you are in a hurry, its ok to follow the above roasting and rinsing method to have a quick homemade meal instead of eating junky frozen & reheated stuff or restaurant food 🙂