Happy Holi to all my readers! 🙂 Here is a delicious yet healthy sweet recipe which you can enjoy without guilt (of-course in moderation 😉 ). These balls resemble chocolate balls but believe me, there is no cocoa added in it. The beautiful brown color comes from the dark jaggery.
Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Makes: around 50 small balls
Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Mixed Nuts* – 4 cups (I used Walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, pistachios & Brazil Nuts)
- Powdered Dark Jaggery – 2 1/2 cups
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry ginger powder – 1 tsp
- Soak the nuts overnight, drain and pat dry completely(peel almonds before drying it).
- Dry roast lightly for 5 minutes.
- Cool it and grind it into a slightly coarse mixture.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Grease an oven-safe glass baking tray or line a baking tray with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix jaggery with 1 1/4 cups of water and stir well.
- Let the jaggery dissolve completely.
- Filter it to remove impurities.
- Heat a pan and add the jaggery water and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Switch off the flame and add in the spice powders, ghee and nuts mixture.
- Mix well and layer it(about 1/2 inch thick) on the baking tray. (You don’t have to be perfect in layering. Anyway you are going to make balls out of it later)
- Bake it on 325F for 20 minutes or till the mixture thickens up nicely. (Take care not to burn)
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down for a minute.
- While it is still hot, take about 2 teaspoons of the mixture and make balls of it by rotating it gently in between your palms.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the mixture.
- Let it cool completely before storing it in an airtight container.
Healthy and tasty Mixed nut balls are ready to relish!