Arugula and Sweet Potato Subji
Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Chopped Arugula Leaves – 2 cups
- Peeled & Chopped Sweet Potato or Sweet Yam – 2 cups
- Shredded Ginger – 2 tsp
- Homemade Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Ajwain – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Lime juice – 1 tsp
- Ghee or Sesame Oil – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt – To taste
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds pop, add ajwain, curry leaves and asafoetida and saute for few seconds.
- Then add sweet potatoes, turmeric powder, 2 tbsp of water and mix well.
- Let it cook covered on low-medium flame till the veggies are 50% cooked.
- Then add the chopped arugula leaves, salt, masala powder and give it a stir.
- Let it cook covered on low flame till the sweet potatoes are cooked until mushy.
- Switch off the flame and add lime juice before serving.
Yummy & healthy subji is ready with all 6 tastes in it.
Enjoy it as a side-dish for Roti-Dal combo.
- Sweet Potatoes or Sweet Yam pacifies Vata & Pitta but aggravates Kapha.
- Arugula Leaves pacifies Pitta and Kapha but aggravates Vata. Cooking with spices will help but in general, Vata people and people with weak digestive agni should always cook the greens to avoid toxin accumulation and vata aggravation.
- Cooking with appropriate spices(that suits your body type) is very important to balance the dish.