This is the baked dry version of my Bitter gourd in pineapple sauce recipe with some tweaks. I am sure you are going to fall in love with bitter gourd after tasting these fries.
Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Bitter gourd – 3 cups (Thinly sliced and seeds removed)
- Rice flour – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Mint Leaves – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
To Grind (Masala Paste):
- Chopped Pineapple -1/2 cup
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Ajwain – a pinch
- Fresh ginger – 2″piece
- Clove – 1
- Black Cardamom seeds – 4 (just the seeds)
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients including masala paste and mix well to coat the bittergourd pieces nicely with the masala.
- Grease an oven-safe glass baking try or line a baking tray with parchment paper and spread the bitter gourd pieces leaving some space between the slices for even cooking (Do not over crowd.)
- Bake it till it turns slightly crispy. Not too crispy. We want the moisture to be present in small amount. (Stir in between for even browning. Take care not to over bake)
Enjoy it as a side-dish for Variety rice.
- This dish will be quite drying for Vata people but a good one for Pitta and Kapha individuals.
- You can also use dried pineapples instead of fresh ones but make sure to soak them for couple of hours before grinding.
- The seeds of bitter gourd will not digest properly. Its better to remove them after slicing.