Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Whole Masoor Dhal – 1/2 cup
- Chopped Carrots – 1/4 cup
- Chopped Asparagus – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Thai green chilly – 1 (remove the seeds)
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
To Grind (Masala Paste):
- Soaked Prune – 2
- Clove – 1
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Kalonji – 1/8 tsp
- Fresh Ginger – 1″ piece
- Cilantro – about 10 sprigs (roughly chop to crush easily)
- Curry Leaves – 4
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry roast the lentil, rinse it well and soak for at-least 6 hrs.
- Boil the lentil with carrots, asparagus, little turmeric, asafoetida, little salt until soft.
- Heat ghee in a saucepan and add green chilly, masala paste, little salt and cook covered till the raw smell goes off. (Add little water to avoid burning)
- Add the mixture to the dhal and mix well.
- Cook the dhal covered on low flame for 2 minutes.
Healthy and tasty Dhal is Ready! Serve warm with plain rice/ roti/ paratha.
- Dry roasting and soaking the lentils helps in better digestion.
- Masoor dhal (in moderation), Carrots and Asparagus are Tridoshic. Make sure the veggies and lentil are cooked thoroughly to avoid Vata aggravation.