Okra & Black-Eyed Peas Subji
Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Okra – 2 cups (Cut into 1/2 ” pieces)
- Boiled Black-Eyed Peas – 1 1/2 cups
- Shredded Ginger – 1 tsp
- Homemade Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Ajwain – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Lime juice – 2 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt – To taste
- Before boiling dried Black-eyed peas, dry roast it, rinse and soak it overnight. Drain the water and boil it in fresh water with a pinch of turmeric and a drop of ghee.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once the seeds pop, add cumin seeds, ajwain and Asafoetida. Saute for few seconds.
- Add okra & turmeric powder and cook covered in low-medium flame till the veggies turn soft.
- Then add boiled black-eyed peas, masala powder, shredded ginger, salt and mix well.
- Cook it covered in low flame till the raw smell goes off.
- Switch off the flame and add lime juice before serving.
Tasty and healthy Okra and Black-eyed Peas Subji is ready!
Enjoy it as a side-dish for any Variety Rice.
- Okra is Tridoshic. It is a good memory-booster and has a pre-biotic property too.
- Dry roasting and soaking is must for all lentils and beans as this helps in removing the Phytic acid which prevents absorption.
- Black-eyed peas is Vata aggravating. People with Vata imbalance or those with poor digestion must avoid this bean as all large beans are channel clogging. Even for a healthy individual, I would recommend having black-eyed peas only occasionally, that too, with proper spices. Have it on the days when you are going to be very active which helps in better digestion.