I just followed my Cranberry Dhal Tadka recipe with some minor changes and this dhal turned out awesome.
Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Masoor Dhal/ Red Lentil – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
For Seasoning(Crush the ingredients roughly – preferably using Mortar & Pestle):
- Peeled and finely chopped Green Mango – 1/4 cup
- Clove – 1
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro – about 10 sprigs (roughly chop to crush easily)
- Curry Leaves – 6
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Thai green chilly – 1 (remove the seeds)
- Dry roast the lentil, rinse it well and soak for at-least 6 hrs.
- Boil the lentil with little turmeric & salt until mushy.
- Heat ghee in a saucepan and add the roughly crushed seasoning ingredients and saute for 3 minutes in medium flame. (Add little water to avoid sticking to the bottom).
- Add the seasoning mixture to the dhal and mix well.
- Cook the dhal covered on low flame for 2 minutes.
Healthy and tasty Green Mango Masoor Dhal is Ready! Serve warm with plain rice/ roti/ paratha/ idli or dosai.
- Dry roasting and soaking the lentils helps in better digestion.
- Red Lentil is Tridoshic(in moderation for Vata).