Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Thinly Sliced Bitter gourd – 2 cups
- Thinly Sliced Carrots – 2 cups
- Shredded Nuts – 1 tbsp (soak nuts overnight and shred. I used Brazil Nuts)
- Sambar Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil/ Ghee – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt – To taste
- Heat ghee/oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Saute for few seconds.
- Add the veggies, sambar powder, salt & turmeric powder and cook covered in low-medium flame till the veggies turn soft.
- Switch off the flame and add nuts and mix well.
Tasty and healthy Poriyal is ready!
Enjoy it as a side-dish for Variety Rice.
- Bitter gourd pacifies Pitta and Kapha but aggravates Vata.
- Cooked Carrot is Tridoshic.
- Always soak nuts to aid digestion.
- Brazil Nuts are rich in Selenium.