Cranberry Dhal Tadka | Flavorful side-dish recipe
Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Toor Dhal or Split Mung Dhal – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
For Seasoning(Crush the ingredients roughly – preferably using Mortar & Pestle):
- Fresh Cranberries – 1/4 cup
- Clove – 1
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro – about 10 sprigs (roughly chop to crush easily)
- Curry Leaves – 10
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Dry roast the lentil, rinse it well and soak for at-least 6 hrs.
- Boil the lentil with little turmeric & salt until mushy.
- Heat ghee in a saucepan and add the roughly crushed seasoning ingredients and saute for 3 minutes in medium flame. (Add little water to avoid sticking to the bottom).
- Add the seasoning mixture to the dhal and mix well.
- Cook the dhal covered on low flame for 2 minutes.
Healthy and tasty Dhal is Ready! Serve warm with plain rice/ roti/ paratha/ idli or dosai.
- Dry roasting and soaking the lentils helps in better digestion.
- Toor dhal pacifies Vata and Kapha but aggravates Pitta. Mung dhal is Tridoshic(in moderation for Kapha). So choose the lentil according to your body type.