Choose organic ingredients whenever possible
Makes: 3/4 cup
Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Fresh Indian Gooseberries – 4 (Roughly chop)
- Curry Leaves – 1/4 cup (Loosely packed)
- Fresh Mint – 1/4 cup (Loosely packed
- Fresh Tulsi/Holy basil – 7
- Neem flower – 1 tbsp
- Fresh Cilantro – 6 sprigs
- Sweet Tamarind water – 1/4 cup (Squeezed from a 3″pc sweet tamarind)
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Mustard Seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds pop, add all the ingredients and saute well.
- Cook it covered on low flame till the gooseberries turn soft. It takes around 5-7 mins)
- Remove from flame and let it come to warm temperature.
- Add water as needed and grind it into a fine paste.
Healthy and tasty Thuvaiyal is ready! Serve it as a condiment for rice, dosa or idli.
Always have this thuvaiyal freshly made and try to consume it within 4 hrs of preparation to get its full benefits(without loosing its Prana). I DO NOT recommend storing this and consuming later.