Mango-Ginger Flavored Green Gram Dhal | Slow-Cooker Method
Yet another healthy and tasty side-dish recipe cooked in a slow-cooker. Assemble all the ingredients in slow cooker in the morning and switch it on(Low). Flavorful dhal will be ready for your dinner.
Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Whole Green Gram Lentil – 1 cup
- Shredded Mango ginger – 1 tbsp
- Arrow root powder – 1 tsp
- Homemade masala powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Juice of Sweet tamarind – 2 tbsp (Squeezed from a 3″ pc sweet tamarind)
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Water – 4 cups
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Crushed black pepper – 1 tsp (or to taste)
- Salt – to taste
- Dry roast the lentil and rinse it well.
- Mix arrowroot powder in 1/4 cup of water and mix well until creamy.
- In a slow-cooker, add all the ingredients (including arrowroot mixture).
- Turn on the slow-cooker to low and let it cook for 7-8 hrs(or until done).
- Turn off the cooker and add finely chopped cilantro before serving
Healthy and tasty Dhal is Ready! Serve warm with plain basmati rice or roti.
- Mango-ginger has a mixed flavor of mango, ginger and turmeric.
- Whole green gram is tridoshic (in moderation for Kapha).