Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Dried kudampuli/Garcinia cambogia – 2pcs (Soak in hot water for 30 mins) Read the health benefits of Kudampuli here
- Boiled and mashed Toor dhal – 2 tbsp
- Peeled & Cubed Sweet Potato – 3/4 cup
- Curry leaves – 5
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
To dry roast & grind (Sambar Powder):
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Channa dhal – 1 tsp
- Whole Urad dhal – 1 tsp
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 4
- Shredded Dry coconut – 2 tbsp
- Squeeze the soaked kudampuli to get a thick juice of it.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds pop, add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida and saute for few seconds in low flame.
- Add sweet potato cubes, little turmeric powder and cook covered till the veggies turn soft. (Add little water to avoid burning)
- Now, add the kudampuli juice, little turmeric, enough water(to get a gravy consistency) and let it cook on a medium flame till the raw smell goes off.
- Then add mashed toor dhal,freshly ground sambar powder, salt and mix well.
- Cook covered for a min on a low flame.
- Garnish it with finely chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with plain rice
Yummy Kudampuli Sweet Potato sambar is ready!