Bittergourd Coconut Milk Curry | Side-dish for Rice/Roti
Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Thinly sliced bitter gourd – 1 1/2 cups
- Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
- Ayurvedic Sambar Powder – 1 tbsp
- Tamarind water – 1/2 cup (Squeezed from a 2″ pc sweet tamarind)
- Thick Coconut Milk – 1/4 cup (Freshly made)
- Finely chopped cilantro – for garnishing
- Oil/ Ghee – 1 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1″ pc
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry Leaves – 5
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once the seeds pop, reduce the flame to low and add all the seasoning ingredients and saute for few seconds.
- The add bitter gourd, turmeric powder, little salt and cook covered in medium flame till it turns soft. (Add little water to avoid burning)
- Now add tamarind water, sambar powder, salt and mix well.
- Let it cook covered till the raw smell of the tamarind goes off.
- Reduce the flame to low and add coconut milk and cook for 30-40secs. (Do not cook too long)
- Remove from flame and garnish it with finely chopped cilantro.
Yummy and healthy Bitter gourd Curry is ready!
This pairs well with Plain rice or Roti.
- Coconut milk is quiet heavy to digest and also increases kapha.
- Make sure you consume coconut milk only when your digestive power is good. Otherwise, it will only make Ama(Toxins).