Choose organic ingredients whenever possible.
Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Peeled and Cubed Sweet Potato – 2 cups
- Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
- Oil/ Ghee – 1 tsp
- Salt – To taste
To dry roast & grind:
- Peeled Almonds – 6
- Poppy Seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- White Sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 5
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once the seeds pop, add sweet potatoes, asafoetida, turmeric powder and cook covered in medium flame till it turns soft. (Add little water to avoid burning)
- Now add the ground powder and mix well.
- Add little water (to get a semi-gravy consistency) and salt.
- Mix well and let it cook covered in low flame for 2 mins. (Do not cook longer)
- Remove from flame and garnish it with finely chopped cilantro.
Creamy Sweet Potato Curry is ready!
I skipped squeezing lime at the end since we enjoyed this as a side-dish for Lime Rice. Add lime(for better digestion) if eaten with any other main dish.
This pairs well with almost anything – Roti/Plain Rice/Variety Rice/ Idli/ Dosa/ Idiyaappam.
- Due to addition of nuts, this dish is quite heavy. Have it during lunch time when the digestion is at the peak.
- Kapha people- reduce the amount of almonds and add more warming spices.