Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Rice – 1 1/4 cup (I used Sona Masoori Rice. You can use Basmati Rice too)
- Finely chopped Banana Flower – 2 cups (take only the florets, remove the stem and the thick petal, then chop and soak in buttermilk for atleast an hour)
- Sweet tamarind juice – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1/2 tsp + 1 tbsp
- Chopped cilantro – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
To Dry Roast & Grind:
- Urad dhal – 1 tbsp
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Shredded dry coconut – 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 4
- Boil rice with little salt and keep it aside.
- Dry roast the ingredients given above and grind it into a fine powder.
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil and add asafoetida, turmeric powder and fry for few seconds in low-medium flame.
- Then add the chopped banana flower, sweet tamarind juice and cook till it turns soft.
- Cool this mixture and grind it with the powdered ingredients and little salt into a coarse paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and add mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds pop add this to the rice and mix well.
- Add the ground paste to rice and mix gently.
- Garnish it with finely chopped cilantro.
Healthy and tasty Vaazhaippoo Saadham is ready! Enjoy it with any Raitha.