Kiwi Sauce for Pizza/ Pasta | Best Tomato Substitute
Makes: 3/4 cup
Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Kiwi Fruit – 3 (Peeled and roughly chopped)
- Mint leaves – 1/4 cup (Roughly chopped)
- Cilantro – 1/4 cup (Roughly chopped)
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Dried Oregano – 1/2 tsp
- Crushed Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp (or to taste)
- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- In a saucepan, add all the ingredients except mint and cilantro and cook in medium flame till the kiwis turn soft.
- Switch of the stove and add mint and cilantro.
- Let it rest for few mins before using it for Pizza.
Quick Kiwi sauce is ready!
This is the best tomato substitute ever. The taste was very similar to chunky tomato sauce. This can also be served as a chutney for idly too. It tastes yummy.
- The kiwis which I used were pretty sour. The taste of the sauce will vary if the fruit is mostly sweet. Sweet kiwi might not substitute well for tomato.
- Kiwi will aggravate Kapha but pacify Vata. Sweet kiwi will pacify pitta but should be had occasionally.
- Pitta people can include more fresh mint and cilantro and skip oregano to enjoy this sauce in moderation and with pitta pacifying veggies or grains.
- Make this sauce fresh every time before use.