Sabudhana kichadi is a well-known recipe. Traditionally, roasted and ground peanuts are added in this recipe. I have used blanched almonds instead of peanut since blanched almonds are Tridoshic (for Kapha in moderation).
Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Tapioca pearls/Sabudhana – 1 1/4 cup
- Coarsely ground Almonds – 1/4 cup (Soak, peel and grind)
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – 4-5
- Thai green chilli – 1(slit and remove the seeds)
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Lime juice – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Chopped cilantro – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Soak sabudhana in water (just enough to immerse the tapioca pearls) overnight or for atleast 4 hrs.
- Mix soaked tapioca and almond powder and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, green chilli, turmeric power, salt and saute for few seconds in low-medium flame.
- Add the tapioca-almond mixture and stir well.
- Keep stirring for 5 mins in low flame. (Leaving it unattended will form lumps and becomes sticky)
- Switch off the flame and add lime juice and finely chopped cilantro.
- Mix well and let it sit covered for a minute before serving.
Tasty Sabudhana kichadi is ready!
Enjoy it for breakfast or dinner.