Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Shredded Gooseberry/Amla – 2 tbsp
- Boiled Toor Dhal(Yellow Pigeon peas) water – 1 cup
- Boiled & Mashed Toor dhal – 2 tbsp
- Ayurvedic Rasam Powder – 2 tsp (or to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Cilantro – few sprigs (finely chopped)
- Water – as needed to get rasam(thin soup) consistency
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 4-5
- Salt – to taste
- In a pan, add toor dhal water, turmeric powder, shredded gooseberry, water (as needed), salt and let it boil in medium flame till froth appears on top.
- Add rasam powder and let it boil in low flame for a minute.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds. After the seeds splutter, add cumin seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida and saute for 3-4 seconds in low flame.
- Add it to the rasam.
- Switch off the flame and garnish it with cilantro.
Tasty and healthy Gooseberry Rasam is Ready!
Enjoy it with plain rice or as a soup!
- Indian Gooseberry/ Amla is the powerhouse of Vitamin C. It is Tridoshic, especially Pitta pacifying. Read more about its benefits here.
- Toor Dhal pacifies Vata and Kapha but aggravates Pitta.