Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Red Lentil – 1/2 cup (Soaked for atleast 2 hrs)
- Chopped RidgeGourd – 2 cups
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Finely chopped cilantro – 1 tbsp
- Thai Green Chilly – 1 (Slit)
- Lime juice – 1 tsp
- Salt – To taste
To dry roast and grind:
- Poppy seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Channa Dhal – 1 tbsp
- Shredded coconut – 2 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 6
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- In a sauce pan, add ridge gourd, red lentils, turmeric, green chilly, 3 cups of water and let it come to a boil in medium flame.
- Reduce the flame to low and cook it covered till the dhal turns slightly mushy.
- Then add the masala powder, salt, little water(if needed) and let it cook in low-medium flame for 5 mins.
- Temper the items given under “For seasoning” and add it to the curry.
- Remove from flame and garnish it with cilantro.
- Add lime juice before serving.
Healthy and tasty Peerkangaai Kootu is ready!
Enjoy it as a side-dish for Variety rice or Plain rice.
- RidgeGourd is cooling in nature and hence Pitta pacifying.
- Red Lentil is tridoshic (for vata in moderation).