Bhindi Masala – Version 3 | Baked Bhindi in a healthy Horsegram Sauce
Are you scared or don’t know how to include Horsegram in your diet? Not anymore… Try this recipe and you’ll fall in love with horsegram. But keep in mind “Everything in Moderation is good”. Read the benefits of Horsegram here.
Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Medium sized Okra – 10 (Cut into 1″ pieces)
- Rice Flour – 2 tbsp
- Kala channa Besan – 1 tbsp
- Sweet tamarind – 1 (3″ piece soaked in water for 30 mins)
- Cilantro – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Crushed Kasoori Methi – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
To dry roast(separately) and Grind:
- Horsegram – 3 tbsp
- White Sessame Seeds – 2 tsp
- Pumpkin seeds – 1 tbsp
- Poppy seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1″ pc
- Clove – 2
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Green Cardamom – 1
- Fresh ginger – 1″ pc (need not roast)
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a baking tray with unbleached parchment paper or use an oven-safe glassware.
- Toss the okras in rice flour, besan, little water, a pinch of turmeric powder, 1 tsp oil and a pinch of salt and spread it on the baking sheet and bake till the okras are cooked. (Okras should be soft and not so crispy)
- Meanwhile grind the ingredients given under “To Grind” into a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Take a sauce pan and add sweet tamarind juice, ground paste, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt, enough water to bring it to a saucy consistency and let it boil till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the baked bhindi/okra, kasoori methi and let it cook in low flame for a minute.
- Remove from flame and garnish it with cilantro.
Tasty and Healthy Horsegram flavored Bhindi Masala is ready!
Enjoy it with Roti/ Paratha or Plain rice.
- Horsegram aggravates Pitta. Using Okra in this recipe helps Pitta people to enjoy this dish in moderation. Also Okra helps in binding the toxins which the horsegram releases from the body. I would recommend having Cooked Barley with this meal as it helps even better in binding the toxins.
- Replace fresh ginger with Green chilli or Black pepper.
- If packing for lunch, add more water while cooking as Horsegram tends to thicken up fast.