Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Dried Mochai/Val Beans – 1/2 cups (Soaked overnight, peeled and boiled with a pinch of ajwain)
- Finely chopped greens – 2 cups (Any leafy greens. I used spinach)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Finely chopped cilantro – 1 tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- Soaked and peeled Almonds – 5
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Black pepper – 5
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Urad dhal – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 4
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Cook the greens till the raw smell leaves.
- Then add the boiled val beans, turmeric, ground paste, salt and mix well. (Add water as needed)
- Cook it in low-medium flame till the raw smell of the paste goes off.
- Temper the items given under “For seasoning” and add it to the kootu mixture.
- Remove from flame and garnish it with cilantro.
Healthy and tasty Keerai Mochai Kootu is ready!
Enjoy it as a side-dish for Variety rice or roti.
Peeling the soaked Val beans before boiling will reduce some of its gassy property.