Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Amaranth grain – 1 cup (Soak overnight or for at-least 4hrs)
- Water – 2 1/2 cups
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Almond powder – 2 tsp (Optional. Just for taste)
- Channa dhal – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – 4
- Shredded ginger – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Sucanat/cane sugar – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Chopped cilantro – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Discard the water used to soak amaranth and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds splutter add cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, channa dhal, green chilli and saute for few seconds in low-medium flame.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of water, salt, sucanat, turmeric powder and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Then add amaranth grain and stir well.
- Reduce the flame to low and let it simmer till the water evaporated and grains are fully cooked. (Stir occasionally to avoid sticking to the bottom)
- Switch off the flame and garnish it with finely chopped cilantro.
Healthy Amaranth upma is ready!
Enjoy it for breakfast or dinner.
- Add veggies to make it even more healthy.
- This upma will not turn fluffy like rava upma. It will be slightly mushy but tastes great.
- Always serve it medium hot.
- Vata and kapha people can take this in moderation with some more ginger.