Methi Channa Pulav | Fenugreek Leaves and Garbanzo Beans Pulav | A tasty lunchbox recipe
Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Rice – 1 1/4 cups
- Finely chopped Fenugreek leaves/ Methi – 1 cup
- Boiled Garbanzo beans – 3/4 cup
- Bay leaf – 1
- Green cardamom – 1
- Ajwain – a pinch
- Cinnamon – 1″pc
- Clove – 2
- Stone Flower/ Kalpaasi(in Tamil) – 2 small pcs
- Maze – 1
- Green chilli – 1 (slit)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Shredded ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Sweet tamarind paste – 1 tsp
- Water – as need to make a paste of all the ingredient.
- Boil rice with salt and 2 1/2 cups of water and let it cool to become fluffy.
- Heat oil in a pan and add bay leaf, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, ajwain, stone flower, maze, and saute in low flame for few seconds.
- Add the masala paste, green chilli and cook in low-medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add fenugreek leaves and cook till the raw smell goes off and methi is well cooked.
- Add boiled garbanzo beans, salt and mix well. (Add little warm water if needed)
- Let it cook for 2 mins in medium flame.
- Reduce the flame to low and add boiled rice and mix gently.
- Cook covered for 3 minutes in low flame. (Stir occasionally to avoid burning)
Simply and tasty Methi Channa pulav is ready!
Enjoy it with any gravy or just raitha.
Garbanzo beans aggravates Vata and clog the channels. Ajwain, ginger and asafoetida helps to pacify vata. Still, its better for Vata people to have this dish occasionally and in moderation. High Vata people can avoid this dish.