Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Dried kudampuli/Garcinia cambogia – 2pcs (Soak in hot water for 30 mins) Read the health benefits of Kudampuli here
- Boiled and mashed Toor dhal – 1/4 cup
- Thinly Sliced Bittergourd – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves – 5
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Ayurvedic Sambar powder – 1 tbsp (or to taste)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Roasted fenugreek powder – a pinch
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Squeeze the soaked kudampuli to get a thick juice of it.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds pop, add curry leaves, asafoetida and saute for few seconds in low flame.
- Add bittergourd, little turmeric powder and saute.
- Cover the pan and cook till the bittergourd turns soft. (Add little water to avoid burning)
- Now, add the kudampuli juice, little turmeric, sambar powder and let it cook on a medium flame till the raw smell goes off.
- Add toor dhal, salt and stir well.
- Cook for 2 mins and sprinkle a pinch of roasted fenugreek powder.
- Serve it hot with plain rice
Yummy Kudampuli paavakkai sambar is ready!
Garcinia Cambogia is quite heating to the body. Pitta people can take this in moderation by adding some Ghee and add some fresh cilantro, fennel and cumin seeds.