Ingredients: (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Fresh Cranberry – 1/2 cup
- Roughly chopped mint leaves – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves – 4
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Succanat – 1 tsp (optional. If cranberry is too sour)
- Urad dhal – 1/2 tsp
- Thai Green Chilli – 1 (Slit)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Sesame oil – 1 tbsp
- Finely chopped cilantro – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Boil Rice with 1 3/4 cups of water and let it cool down to become fluffy.
- Grind cranberry into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds pop, add cumin seeds, urad dhal, asafoetida, green chilli and saute in low flame for few seconds.
- Add cranberry paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, succanat and cook in medium flame till the oil oozes out. (Take care not to burn. add little water if needed.)
- Then add mint leaves, curry leaves, cilantro, salt and mix well.
- Now add boiled rice and mix well.
- Let it cook covered in low flame for 2 minutes.
Yummy Cranberry Rice is ready!
Enjoy it with Pappad. Its a tasty lunch box recipe.
Sour Cranberry increases pitta and Vata but pacifies kapha.