Rajma and Black Urad dhal | Kidney Beans and Black Urad dhal Masala for Roti/ Paratha/ Rice
Serves: 4 (if served in a small cup as a side-dish)
Ingredients: (Visit English-Tamil-Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Kidney Beans – 1/4 cup (Soak overnight)
- Black Urad dhal – 1/2 cup (Soak overnight)
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Kalonji – 1/4 tsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cinnamon stick – 1″ pc
- Clove – 1
- Green Cardamom – 1
- Kasoori Methi – 1/2 tsp (Crushed)
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Ajwain – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro – 2 tbsp
- Ghee – 1/2 tsp
- Olive Oil – 2 tsp
- Homemade masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Shredded ginger – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sweet tamarind paste – 1 tsp (Soak in water for 30 mins and make a thick juice of it)
- Boil Kidney beans and black urad dhal with ajwain and little turmeric.
- Make a paste of the ingredients given under “Masala paste” with little water.
- Heat ghee in a pan and once the ghee turns warm, add olive oil.
- In low-medium flame, add bay leaf, cinnamon, clove, kalonji, cardamom, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, asafoetida and saute for few seconds.
- Add the masala paste and saute till the raw smell goes off and the oil oozes out slightly.
- Add the boiled kidney beans, black urad dhal, salt, kasoori methi, enough water and let it cook in medium flame till the masalas blend and gives a nice aroma.
- Remove from flame and add finely chopped cilantro.
Tasty Rajma and black urad masala is ready!
Enjoy it as a side-dish for roti, paratha or jeera rice.
Rajma is channel clogging and could aggravate Vata. The spices used in this recipe will help to some extent. Anyway its better to have this dish occasionally and in moderation.