Ash gourd and Amaranth seeds kootu | Side-dish for Sambar saadham/ Curd Rice/ Roti
Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Ash gourd – 1 1/2 cups (Cubed)
- Amaranth seeds – 1/4 cup (Soaked for 4-6 hrs)
- Toor Dhal – 2 tbsp (Soaked for 2 hrs)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Finely chopped cilantro – 1 tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- Kootu Powder/ Sambar powder – 1 tbsp (or to taste)
- Dry coconut – 1 tbsp
- Water – as needed to make a fine paste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Urad dhal – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 4
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Boil amaranth seeds and toor dhal with enough water and turmeric.
- When the seeds and dhal are 80% cooked, add the ash gourd and let it cook covered till the ash gourd turns soft and the amaranth and dal gets cooked completely.
- Add the ground paste, salt and mix well. (Add water as needed)
- Cook it in low-medium flame till the raw smell of the paste goes off.
- Temper the items given under “For seasoning” and add it to the kootu mixture.
- Remove from flame and garnish it with cilantro.
Healthy and tasty Ash gourd and Amaranth seeds Kootu is ready!
Enjoy it as a side-dish for sambar/ rasam/ curd rice or roti.