Mochakottai/ Val Beans Masala (Side-dish for Roti/ Sambar Saadham/ Idiyaapam)
Ingredients : (Visit English – Tamil – Hindi translation/ஆங்கிலம்-தமிழ் மொழி பெயர்பு)
- Val Beans/ Mochakottai – 3/4 cup
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Homemade Masala Powder – 2 tsp
- Besan – 1 1/2 tsp
- Ajwain – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seed – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Shredded fresh ginger – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro – 2 tbsp (Finely chopped)
- Salt – To taste
- Soak Val beans overnight, peel it and boil with little asafoetida until done.
- Heat ghee in a pan and in low-medium flame, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, ajwain, turmeric powder, shredded ginger, homemade masala powder and saute for few seconds.
- Mix besan with little water and make a thick paste.
- Then add the boiled val beans, salt, besan paste, enough water and boil in the medium flame for 5 minutes or until the raw smell goes away. Stir occasionally.
- Switch off the stove and garnish it with finely chopped cilantro.
Healthy and tasty Val beans/Mochakottai masala is ready!
Enjoy it with hot Phulka, Idiyappam or variety rice.
Peeling the soaked Val beans before boiling will reduce some of its gassy property. Vata people can avoid this dish.